Our client a Washington, DC based Non-Profit is actively looking to hire its next Controller. The Controller is responsible for overseeing the organization’s Accounting Department, and for implementing financial policies, procedures, budgets, internal and external financial reports and its affiliated organizations. The organization and its affiliates are 501(c)(3) non-profits with substantial involvement in federal contracts and grants. The Controller is also responsible for direct oversight of the audits performed by the Independent Auditors and DCAA Auditors. The Controller serves as a point of contact with various vendors and government agencies such as bank, IRS, ONR, DCAA, etc.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Recruit/retain competent accounting staff; provide leadership, coaching, guidance and support; oversee professional development plans to assist employees to reach their full potential through the annual performance appraisal process;
- Ensure optimal deployment of resources to achieve business goals.
- Financial Systems, Operations, and Controls
- Ensure that the organization is in compliance with all internal policies and relevant external regulations and ensure required filings are completed and submitted in a timely manner;
- Oversee financial and operational controls and policies to mitigate internal and external risks and ensure regular compliance with effective follow-up procedures as needed;
- Management and maintain the financial accounting system, ensuring maximum productivity and that it meets the needs of the business today and in the future;
- Manage the payroll function in coordination with the Director of Human Resources to ensure efficient systems, processes, and controls;
- Oversee the continuous improvement of accounting and financial processes and the development of the team with the goal to achieve best practices and optimal output;
- Develop and oversee accounting policies and procedures to meet both current and future business requirements;
- Oversee and directly manage all accounting functions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, bank reconciliations, etc.
- Financial Reporting & Analysis
- Responsible for providing the Managing Director of Finance inputs for all of organizations financial reporting and related processes;
- Ensures financial management reporting tools and processes are in place to support the ongoing and future needs of the business with maximized effectiveness and efficiency;
- Generate monthly management reporting package for financial analyses (including year-to-date budget to actual revenues and expenditures) and distribute to organizations directors with budget responsibility.
- Provide inputs for Managing Director of Finance’s presentations to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
- Develop regular reporting and analyses, including key metrics reports, and conduct ad hoc financial analyses as required.
- Prepare the financial section of the annual report.
- Budgeting and Financial Modeling
- Provides assistance to the Executive Director and other Managers on budget process;
- Provide ongoing financial modeling and analysis expertise to internal management;
- Lead financial modeling and analysis efforts to support the development of long term strategic initiatives and business plans.
- Monthly Financial Close
- Oversee and manage monthly financial closing to ensure timely, complete, and accurate financial records and reporting;
- Maintain monthly closing checklist to ensure all necessary entries; reconciliations, and calculations are complete before producing financial reports for analysis and distribution;
- Review and post all general ledger accounting entries created by Accounting staff and exported from any subsystems;
- Track and report on the status of accounts receivable and work with the appropriate staff to operations staff to collect the funds;
- Produce monthly reports so that directors can tack employees’ time by program area.
- Maintains oversight of all financial transactions performed by the Accounting Staff
- Point of Contact for various vendors: Banks, Auditors, TIAA-Cref (retirement plan & endowed awards), Employee & Commercial insurances
- Other duties as assigned
- The Controller & Director of Accounting reports to the Managing Director of Finance & Chief Financial Officer. This position supervises the Senior Accountant, and manages/oversees four other Accountants in the Accounting Dept. The Controller and Director of Accounting interacts with all employees at the organizations HQ, external auditors, various vendors, and occasionally interacts with the organizations volunteers and members.
- Bachelor’s degree required (advanced degree preferred);
- CPA required;
- Minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience with a track record in operations/senior management;
- Experience in 501(c)(3) non-profit environment (academic environment experience is a plus).
Essential Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent budgeting skills;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software especially Excel (at an intermediate to advanced level)
- Strong management, organization, and problem solving skills with the proven ability to continuously identify and implement practical solutions;
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work effectively within time constraints;
- Ability to create and maintain institutional policies and processes;
- Demonstrated expertise in non-profit financial management and accounting.
- Demonstrated expertise in GAAP, FAR;
- Demonstrated expertise in the financial aspects of federal contracting business development and capture;
- Demonstrated expertise in preparation of financial proposals associated with RFPs and RFQs including labor and billing for Time and Material and Firm Fixed Price contracts;
- Demonstrated expertise in contract or grant accounting;
- Demonstrated expertise in development of indirect rate proposals, incurred cost submissions, etc.;
- Deep knowledge of OMB circulars governing cost principles, administrative requirements, and audits.
If interested please submit your current resume and salary requirement for consideration. Strong compensation package for the candidate most closely matching our clients job requirements, especially hands-on experience.