Our client a large NGO with offices in Washington, DC is seeking an interim Assistant Controller with the following skills. Position will be remote based and may require some initial on-site on-boarding. Position requires an immediate availability and ability to start within or less than one week following an interview.
The Assistant Controller reports directly to the Controller and is primarily responsible for financial reporting for the organization, ensuring compliance with applicable regulations and internal control policies; audit engagements; and providing technical guidance. The position will also manage assigned GL activities and oversee the International Accounting within the finance department.
- Financial Reporting and Compliance: Oversees and coordinates Financial Reporting and Compliance. Oversees submissions such as: audited financial statements, Uniform Guidance audit, 990, etc. Ensures compliance with US GAAP for corporate consolidation of domestic operations with 12+ international offices and affiliates. Maintains policies and procedures for compliance with OMB regulations (Uniform Guidance) and any other applicable regulations; monitors changes in regulations and develops strategies to comply with government regulations. Maintains comprehensive global corporate financial accounting and reporting policies and procedures, adapting for local requirements, as necessary. Assists in the formulation of internal controls and policies to comply with applicable regulations. Collaborates with Internal Audit to proactively assess/identify risks and strengthen internal controls, policies and procedures.
- Audit: Oversees and coordinates all audits related to the Finance Department. Acts as managerial point of contact for all of entities financial audits. Strengthens financial and compliance controls and processes. Coordinates and reviews financial audits performed at entities International Offices in conjunction with annual consolidated audit; reports on findings and suggest corrective actions. Oversees the review of local statutory filings prior to final release to ensure consistency with corporate financials and policies and to understand any findings. Communicates and explains accounting and compliance issues to the management team including upcoming changes in US GAAP and how these changes may impact the organization.
- General Ledger: Manages assigned sections of the GL, reconciliation of accounts, and accuracy of all the accounts. Responsible for the timely resolution of all reconciling account reconciling items. Ensures all reconciliation processes are well documented and being performed using applicable excel tools sets.
- International Accounting: Oversees the development of financial procedures for entities International Offices. Oversees and assists with all financial statement preparation, reconciliations and submissions, complying with both U.S. and local statutory requirements. Ensures that financial analysis and reporting for entities International Offices is adequate while looking for ways to improve the organization’s practices. Oversees and reviews balance sheet reconciliations for each international business unit, including bank reconciliations. Oversees Controllers Department team responsible for capacity building of International Office finance teams.
- People Management: Makes recommendations and decisions concerning employment, termination, performance evaluations, salary actions, etc. Prioritizes, organizes, distributes, and coordinates the flow of work. Guides team performance. Ensures prescribed policies, procedures, and schedules are followed. Ensures that team priorities are aligned to meet organizational compliance goals.
Education and Work Experience:
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in order to apply a working knowledge of the theories and principles in a specialized field or work discipline.
- Requires at least ten years of related work experience.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Active CPA, required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, required
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, FAR, consolidation and not-for-profit reporting, required.
- Strong general ledger experience related to account reconciliations and investigation of variance
- Demonstrated experience working in a not-for-profit, preferred.
- PeopleSoft preferred or large ERP system experience required.
Attractive hourly rate is will be offered to the candidate or candidates that most closely match the above requirements. An active CPA is required to be considered for this project position.